1. Then, I used to sport an afro and it was a running battle with my father not to have it trimmed. Now I cut my hair very low every week, stopping just short of completely shaving my head
2. Then, I loved cars and as a teenager when my father sent me on an errand with the car I would look to drive through the most congested streets I could find in Lagos. Now I wish I could afford a driver although my love of driving has not diminished
3. Then, we ate any strange food combinations as student teens – moin pie (bread with moin-moin [bean cakes]); banana pie (bread with bananas); ice cream sandwich (need I tell you the ingredients?); bread with sugar cubes; bread with groundnuts; bananas with groundnuts. Now I just try to exercise portion control
4. Then, I drove my car left hand twisted forward over the steering wheel in a proud display of my wedding band. Now I drive left hand twisted forward over the steering wheel in a proud display of an empty hand
5. Then (last June), I looked at my fish live in the tank before I authorised its slaughter (its called ‘kill-and-go’ or ‘shoot-to-kill’ or ‘point-and-kill’ or something).
Now my gut hasn’t gone down after forgetting my portion control policy in devouring the catfish washed down with Star Lager